Did you know….
- Cancer is the #1 disease killer in children under the age of 15.
- 15,780 children will be diagnosed in the US this year.
- Childhood cancer is not one disease but is made up of a dozen types and countless subtypes.
- The average age of diagnosis of childhood cancer is 6 years old.
- Survival rates for all types of childhood cancer is over 80%.
- The most common type of cancer in children is Leukemia.
- Treatment for Leukemia is 2 ½ years for girls and 3 ½ years for boys.
- Despite improvements in cure rates the number of diagnosed cases annually has not declined in 20 years.
- 60% of all childhood cancer survivors will suffer from late effects such as: diabetes, learning difficulties, infertility, heart failure and secondary cancers.